Apple Cider Short Ribs
Fall is here! Can you believe it's already October? On the farm, this time of year is all about wrapping up projects and preparing for winter. It's the last push before a slower, much colder season ahead.
Seasons always seem to signal a change in the foods that we want to make and eat. For me, we are officially in crockpot, comfort food season. It is a great season for eating. Apples are one of my favorite fall things. To me, there isn't a bad way to eat them. This short rib recipe uses apples and is made in a crockpot. For these reasons alone, it's a winner.
Short ribs are located between the chuck and the rib. They have rich marbling and a huge amount of flavor. We often get asked the best way to prepare short ribs. This Apple Cider Short Ribs recipe is my new favorite way. The sweetness of the apples pairs so well with the rich, savory beef. After a few hours in the crockpot the meat will be falling off the bone. Make some garlic mashed potatoes to serve with the short ribs. Enjoy!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2-5 lbs short ribs
salt & pepper to taste
3 cloves garlic minced
2 cups apple cider
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon thyme diced
4 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
1 apple sliced
1. Place sliced onions, olive oil, and brown sugar in the crockpot. Stir.
2. Season Short Ribs with salt and pepper. Place Short Ribs in crockpot.
3. Add garlic, apple cider, apple cider vinegar, thyme, and mushrooms into crockpot.
4. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8.
5. Slice apples and put in crockpot for last 30 minutes to hour of cook time.
6. Serve short ribs on a bed of mashed potatoes.